Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2015

New Toy: Boston Eb Alto Helicon

SO I'VE BEEN SLACKING

I promise I've got some more cool stuff to make up for that.

Like this amazing new Purchase:

1870's Boston Eb Alto Helicon
This Boston Alto Helicon has a 6 3/4" bell, and a circle of about 19".
 I'm just hoping that I can actually fit into this instrument.
Alto Helicons are Very rare, especially those of American Make.

1911 Hn White Eb Monster Helicon
I was very lucky to be the High bidder on this Item. As a tuba player, Instruments that surround the player have become something of great interest to me, especially since my first purchase of a 1911 HN White Eb Monster Helicon (Pictured Right). 

I have searched high and low to find Helicons in various forms and keys, and have owned both BBb and Eb Helicons, but dreaming of the Tenor/Baritone in Bb. Now THOSE are elusive creatures. I have seen both Soprano and Alto Helicons only in pictures, and knowing of less than a handful of either that exist, I never once expected that I might come across one! 

"Made by the Boston Musical Instrument Manufy (Manufactury)"





There are several COOL FACTORS about this horn, aside from it being an Alto. I mean, Just look at that engraving! 

Before I continue, I should direct you over to the great Robb Stewart's Website, where he has a detailed history about the Boston instrument co, particularly in regard to their Cornets. 

String Actuated Rotary Valves, or SARV
(Side Action Rotary Valves)
What is interesting about Boston Helicons, is that their first catalog featuring the instruments was published in 1869, meaning that even with the popularity of Helicons in Civil War Cavalry Bands, Boston missed the boat to really produce these in high numbers, and as far as I can tell this may be one of two examples of a Boston Alto, one of which is unmarked and can be seen here. You'll notice that there are several key differences between these two instruments, including the main tuning slide layout, the paddle layout, and what is a key feature on many Boston Horns: The Swirly brace which, in this case, is located on the valve section. 

If you look at the main tuning slide, and perhaps this is the repair technician in me speaking, you will notice that the brace located on the main tuning slide is a bit out of place when comparing it to the others, and that is because it is a CONN brace from roughly 1900, and from this we can start to wonder if this horn had a playing career up until the change of standard pitch from A=435 to A=440 (just a nice thought to go with this horn).

So when this wonderful piece of history arrives, it will go through the normal paces of getting back to playing condition; it will be cleaned to remove all of the dirt, and to reveal any other damage that may be hidden by tarnish. After cleaning, I will work the slides free, work the rotors (more than likely fitting them to remove any slop from 140 years of play) and shape some patches to cover the large tears forming along the body tube seam. The latter of this work is very common on instruments of this age, and making sure that they fit nice and flat will take some planning being that they sit on the curve of the body. 




 Once completed, this will be a GREAT example of the artistry and craftsmanship that 20th century instrument makers strove for on a daily basis. Not to mention it will make a great addition to the two Civil War Band in the Sacramento Area, The El Dorado Brass Band, and the Fort Point Garrison Brass Band.

If you have any further information you would like to add, or have some corrections for me, LET ME KNOW! I'm always happy to learn from the public, and being young, there is a lot more I would like to learn as it is.

Questions are always welcomed, so please do not hesitate to ask, OR if there is a particular instrument you would like me to talk about, LET ME KNOW Via Email at:


As always, thanks for stopping by, and stay tuned. This has been:

The Confessions of a Tuba Player.

3/29/15



1 comment:

  1. Hi, is your helicon finisht now? Are you allready playing on it?

    ReplyDelete